No prior chemistry knowledge required for taking this course
2020 – 2021 school year （run two semesters: fall and spring )
The primary objectives of the course:
Improving students’ performance in their first-year high school chemistry class
- Teaching chemistry principles. So students will improve their understanding of the fundamental concepts of chemistry
- Strengthening students’ proficiency in applying these principles to problem solving. So students will improve their problem solving skills.
Who should take this course?
- Students start taking the first-year high school chemistry course in the fall semester of current academic year.
- Students would like to build a foundation for taking high school chemistry courses in the next school year.
- Algebra with understanding of the second-year algebra concept of logarithms
Chemistry: The Central Science, 10th Edition
Summer sessions 2020
Schedule: Eight weeks session, July and August
Scope: This class does NOT require any prior chemistry knowledge. Suitable for students who have not taken any chemistry course before.
- Atomic structure, including evidence for atomic theorythe Periodic Table
- Chemical bonding and molecular structure
- Basic Measurement and Calculation Review
- Chemical reactions and stoichiometry
- Environmental chemistry
An atom is made of a nucleus and electron(s) •
A nucleus is made of protons and neutrons •
Atomic number in the Periodic Table = # of protons inside the nucleus
The picture below represents a He (helium) atom, atomic number in the Periodical Table=2